Parent Resources During Distance Learning
Parent Self-care: Check out this video of Dr. Jules Nolan (Phoenix School Counseling) talking about parent self-care during the time of COVID-19. Dr. Nolan and her team at Phoenix provide counseling services for a number of our schools and this is a presentation she made to parents and teachers at Our Lady of Peace in Minneapolis, with Paul Berry serving as host and facilitator.
Suggestions for Families:
Consider making it about being a team:
- Select a family team name
- Gamify it – points earned for accomplishing something for the team (making lunch for sibling/Mom or Dad)
- Have general daily checklists
- Have specific checklists for the day
Have white boards (or white board decals) for everyone to:
- Share daily schedule
- Daily tasks to be accomplished
Determine when each family member hits their slump and adjust schedules for their schedule:
- Have longer work sessions at the productive times
- Have shorter sessions during the tougher times
- Burst working, such as 25 minutes on, 15 minutes off
- If it is hard for students to know how long they have been using technology,help them. You could set a timer or “Alexa, play “Let it Go” in 30 minutes”
Visible signage to help remind people about ability to be interrupted:
- “Shhh, I’m working now. I can play later”
- Of course you have to ensure you are available to play later.
Meet for 10 minutes on what's going to be accomplished in the next 80 minutes. Then regroup and see how it went. Plan for the next 80 minutes.
- Helps with accountability
- Helps with realizing just how long it takes to do something.
Training Videos for Parents: