The students in 1st through 5th grade have computer class once a week with our Technology Teacher. The teacher brings a computer cart with 25 Lenova laptops (2 in 1 style with touchscreen) to the classroom. The Middle School students have computer class using their assigned devices once a week for one trimester. The Kindergarten students start in January with the Technology Teacher bringing the computer cart to their classroom once a week. The computer cart is available to all teachers when computer classes are not taking place.
In our Middle School area, we have 3 mobile labs with 77 laptop computers (46 of which are the latest technology 2 in 1 style with touchscreen) and 24 Chromebooks. The 4th and 5th grades each have a classroom set of iPads shared between the 2 classrooms. There are 88 iPads spread throughout the K-3 classrooms (11 in each classroom). Skills/Enrichment has 10 iPads and a mobile lab with 12 laptops.
Our switches are linked with 10 GB fiber, utilizing the Aruba network WiFi system.
Students work with Microsoft Office tools. Our 5th - 8th graders are using Google docs and Google classroom.
The following 2 programs are also used throughout the year:
• Type to Learn (keyboarding software)
• Read Naturally (a reading fundamental program)
Five of the grades (4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th) began a coding curriculum within the code.org site. These were introduced during their 2nd grade year or their 7th grade year and the links are still active. The current 8th grade class was given the option to begin May 2020 during our distance learning. The links are:
September (all grades 1-6):
- Explain new care for the laptops
- Reminder on signing in to devices.
- File organization - Students create a new folder within their own folder and moving files from last year into the new folder.
- Type to Learn - Students are reminded how to log on to Type to Learn and practice their typing skills. We focus on keyboarding skills for a few weeks at the beginning of the year and come back to practice these skills throughout the year. This is an application students can work on at home. Information to access Type to Learn at home can be found on the right-hand side of this page.
- MAP Testing for grades 3-8
- Grade 6 (1st Trimester): reminder on use of devices and signing on, File organization, Type to Learn, Scratch programming