In our computer lab, the students in 1st through 5th grade have computer class once a week with our Technology Teacher. The Middle School students have computer class once a week for one trimester. The Kindergarten students start in January and meet once a week. The lab is open to all teachers when computer classes are not taking place.
In our Middle School area, we have 3 mobile labs with 45 laptop computers (30 of which are the latest technology 2 in 1 style with touchscreen), 24 Chromebooks, and 30 iPads. The 5th grade classrooms share the MS iPads. There are 80 iPads spread throughout the K-4 classrooms (8 in each classroom), as well as 10 iPads for Skills/Enrichment.
Our switches are linked with 10 GB fiber, utilizing the Aruba network WiFi system.
Students work with Microsoft Office tools. Our 5th - 8th graders are using Google docs and Google classroom.
The following 2 programs are also used throughout the year:
• Type to Learn (keyboarding software)
• Read Naturally (a reading fundamental program)
Four of the grades (3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th for the 2018-2019 school year) began a coding curriculum within the code.org site. These were introduced during their 2nd grade year or their 7th grade year and the links are still active. The links are:
8th: (course 3): https://studio.code.org/sections/CMMMKG
September (all grades):
- Reminder of computer lab rules and signing on to the computers
- File organization - Students create a new folder within their own folder and moving files from last year into the new folder.
- Type to Learn - Students are reminded how to log on to Type to Learn and practice their typing skills. We focus on keyboarding skills for a few weeks at the beginning of the year and come back to practice these skills throughout the year. This is an application students can work on at home. Information to access Type to Learn at home can be found on the right-hand side of this page.
- MAP Testing for grades 3-8
- Grade 6 (1st Trimester): computer lab rules, File organization, Type to Learn, Scratch programming
- Grades 1-2: Online safety, MS Word review and new projects
- Grade 3: Type to Learn, MS Word review, Freckle.com
- Grade 4: Type to Learn, Spelling City, MS Word review
- Grade 5: Type to Learn, Internet safety review, research, Google Docs
- Grade 6 (1st Trimester): Scratch programming
- Grades 1-2: MS Word seasonal projects, Type to Learn
- Grade 3: Type to Learn, MS Word paragraphs
- Grade 4: MS Power Point
- Grade 5: Type to Learn, Google Docs (Explorer project), coding overview
- Grade 6 (1st Trimester): Scratch programming, Type to Learn
- Grades 1-2: Hour of Code, MS Word seasonal projects, Christmas games
- Grade 3: Hour of Code, MS Word Polar Express Flyers, Christmas games
- Grade 4: Hour of Code, MS Power Point
- Grade 5: Hour of Code, Google Sheets
- Grade 8: (2nd Trimester): Hour of Code, Type to Learn