All Saints Catholic School's curriculum is based on the school's mission, philosophies, and Minnesota Standards.
In first grade, we attend Mass weekly and lead the liturgy 1-2 times a school year. The focus of religion: Our Sunday Visitor, Alive in Christ, 2014.Christ is at the center of our faith, our Church and our catechesis. Alive in Christ is intentional in its focus on the life, mission, and saving work of Jesus Christ. This lays a foundation for a relationship with Jesus, who continually leads us to his Father's love and calls us through the Spirit to share in the divine life through his Church.
We also learn about the special times of the Church year and saints.
Our focus in first grade is to encourage and instill a love of reading. Much progress is made by all students as they learn to read and are exposed to phonics, grammar, writing, spelling, and vocabulary. We learn:
- Phonemic awareness – short and long vowels, phonemes, syllables
- Phonics – beginning sounds, middle sounds, final sounds, blend phonemes, possessives, concepts of print, contractions
- Fluency – accuracy, punctuation, intonation, expression, rate
- Comprehension – summarizing, main idea, inferring/predicting, sequence of events, text and graphic features, story structure, understanding characters, visualization, author’s purpose, drawing conclusions, comparing and contrasting
- Vocabulary – classification/categorization of words, context clues, multiple-meaning words, ABC order, antonyms, synonyms, homophones, compound words
- Spelling – spelling and vocabulary words assessed each week
- Grammar – nouns, verbs, adjectives, pronouns, kinds of sentences
- Writing – labels, captions, word choice, sentences, poetry, using description, writing personal narratives
- How to choose and read books at the student’s reading level
We use Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Journeys (2017) to support our literacy program.
First grade math uses Math Expressions (2006).
Other skills taught in first grade include:
- Counting by 1s, 2, 5s, 10s and 100s, comparing and ordering numbers, estimation
- Challenging students to know addition and subtraction facts to 18
- Solving addition and subtraction equations using unknown partners and unknown totals
- Using various strategies to solve addition and subtraction story problems
- Adding and subtracting two-digit numbers without regrouping
- Identifying and counting money totals using pennies, nickels and dimes. Introducing the value of a quarter.
- Identifying and extending patterns, writing and solving number patterns, using comparison symbols
- Identifying time to the half-hour, days of the week and months of the year
- Describing 2- and 3- dimensional shapes, identifying symmetry, identifying right and left, and other spatial relationships
- Measurement with length and weight
- Collecting and sorting data using graphs and tally charts, using probability
- Developing skills for problem solving, classifying and categorizing information
First grade examines the physical, earth, and life science of the world around.
Throughout the year we: